- To the Students.
- Structure and Properties.
- Methane: Energy of Activation, Transition State.
- Alkanes: Free-Radical Substitution. Stereochemistry I—Stereoisomers.
- Alkyl Halides: Nucleophilic Aliphatic Substitution.
- Alcohols and Ethers.
- Role of the Solvent: Secondary Bonding.
- Alkenes I—Structure and Preparation: Elimination.
- Alkenes II—Reactions of the Carbon-Carbon Double Bond: Electrophilic and Free-Radical Addition.
- Stereochemistry II—Stereoselective and Stereospecific Reactions.
- Conjugation and Resonance: Dienes.
- Cyclic Aliphatic Compounds.
- Aromaticity: Benzene.
- Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution.
- Aromatic- Aliphatic Compounds: Arenes and Their Derivatives.
- Spectroscopy and Structure.
- Aldehydes and Ketones: Nucleophilic Addition.
- Carboxylic Acids.
- Functional Derivatives of Carboxylic Acids: Nucleophilic Acyl,Substitution.
- Carbanions I: Aldol and laisen Condensations.
- Amines I: Preparation and Physical Properties.
- Amines II: Reactions.
- Carbanions II: Malonic Ester and Acetoacetic Ester Syntheses.
- Aryl Halides: Nucleophilic Aromatic Substitution.
- a, b—Unsaturated Carbonyl Compounds: Conjugate Addition.
- Molecular Orbitals.
- Orbital Symmetry.
- Symphoria: Neighboring Group Effects, Catalysis by Transition Metal Complexes.
- Heterocyclic Compounds.
- Polymers and Polymerization.
- Stereochemistry III: Enantiotopic and Diastereotopic Ligands and Faces.
- Lipids: Fats and Steroids.
- Carbohydrates I: Monosaccharides.
- Carbohydrates II: Disaccharides and Polysaccharides.
- Proteins and Nucleic Acids: Molecular Biology.
- Analysis of Spectra.
- The earlier chapters on fundamentals have been streamlined.
- Key topics such as nucleophilic substitution, elimination, addition, conjugation and stereoselectivity find an easy and effective introduction in the revised version.
- Alcohols and Ethers are now treated in Chapter 6 (immediately following nucleophilic substitution) which permits realistic use of oxygen compounds in the chemistry that follows.
- Removal of redundant and outdated material has made the study guide slimmer by 200 pages.